12/17/2006

Girls' Night and the Ten Ren Tea Company

Last night was the most fun night I have had in a long long time... I'm here in the University Center on duty for the weekend, meaning I really can't leave the building at all except to go to Panera (which is in our building). A bunch of other girl RAs are also on duty, including my roommate, so we invited the other ladies over for a girls' night. Before our duty meeting, I snuck out of the building and caught the train to Chinatown, which is only 5 minutes away by rail. I went to the Ten Ren Tea & Ginseng Company, quickly picked up a 1/2 pound of loose leaf tea, then headed back immediately.

We rented the new Woody Allen film "Scoop" and began watching it - we never finished, it is absolutely awful. Two great actors, Scarlet Johannsen and Hugh Jackman, were awful in this movie. When the DVD skipped and stopped an hour into the film, we took it as an omen that we should just stop watching it. Instead, we put in one of my favorite movies, Two Weeks Notice, with Sandra Bullock and Hugh Grant. So we got our fill of romantic comedy and an amazing British accent. Good stuff.

Meanwhile, we tried the new tea I got, Mango Black Tea, and let me tell you, it is AMAZING. It was $20 a pound, one of the cheaper teas at Ten Ren (They have one green tea that they sell at $130/lb.) but it was so good, perhaps the best tea I have ever had. It has real pieces of mango dried up in it. I used my new french press, which I am so excited about, and Hayley's water boiler, and probably refilled it 6 times, thus about 30 cups off of 6 tablespoons of the loose leaf tea. I don't think I will ever go back to regular tea - I'm going to Ten Ren again tomorrow, so that I can take my time and get acquainted with all they have to offer. Supposedly they have 200 varieties of tea there.

Following the movie, we sat around and gushed about boyfriends and dating and life until after midnight. It was so much fun. A few of us had to do late rounds in the building still, so we headed out and girls' night was over. I believe we'll be doing another on Monday. Priceless.

3 comments:

melanie said...

what $130/lb!!!! what the!?! good stuff i bet! i love tea.. i'll drive over for a cup.
and panera in the building, you never told us about that! what kind of life do you lead?? sounds like a fun night..

Heth said...

Mmmmm. Tea. The yummiest tea I've ever had was a gift from a friend. "Evening in Missoula" I think was the name. I have to call her and find out where she got it, it was delish.

Sara said...

Yep...once you get hooked on "real" loose leaf tea, you become a tea snob and can't go back :)

Heth mentioned Evening in Missoula...you can only get it at a few places in the Midwest. It's made in Montana...hence the name. You can find it at www.teasource.com or www.teazone.com .

Here is the description:
Our most popular herbal. Chamomile, rosehips, raspberry, papaya, peppermint, spearmint, strawberry leaf, vanilla, passion flower, red clover, star anise, and wild cherry bark. Absolutely fabulous.

You won't be sorry...it's my favorite herbal so far and I've tried sooooo many. Yum.

If you're ever down in Des Moines...be sure to check out Gong Fu in the East Village (www.gongfu-tea.com). It's a wonderful tea house that has been written about in several publications, including Country Home. Ancient Happiness and Pacific Breeze are my favorites.