12/15/2006

Another Semester of Perspective

This evening I had my last class of the semester, History of the Holocaust. What an amazing class it has been; I have learned so much.

For tonight's class, we spoke on the topic of more recent genocide around the world. All semester, this class was sort of a downer for ending each week (though it was a valuable class regardless), but tonight I left the classroom very much saddened as I was reminded of the inadequacy of governments in our world.

As of December 31st, the UN will, I believe, have a new leader, as Kofi Annan will be stepping down after 10 years of service. I found a somewhat cynical but revealing article in the Tribune that I thought I would share, discussing the UN's failure to take necessary actions during these past 10 years.

In class this evening I watched a very graphic documentary on the Rwandan genocide in 1994, and it was honestly so hard to stomach. In taking my African History & Culture class last fall, I gained a lot of perspective about Africa and why it is where it is today. This documentary had a lot of footage that I had never seen - scenes of rebels approaching people on the roads and hacking them with machetes, piles and piles of bodies lying alongside the road, hundreds of bodies flowing down the river into neighboring countries, lining the banks. Even writing now, thinking of these scenes brings tears to my eyes. I watched film from 1994 of a Clinton rep denying that genocide was occurring, struggling to save face amongst reporters. And then scenes of Clinton arriving at the airport in Kigali, apologizing for his country's failure to act, and then getting back onto Air Force One, engines never having been turned off. Really, is an apology enough?


The discussion quickly turned to Darfur and the current situation there. President Bush has used the term "genocide" many times when referring to the situation, yet the UN is too afraid to use that term. Why? Calling a conflict "genocide" demands action. The UN is bound by an agreement written in 1951 stating that it is its duty to prevent and punish even conspiring genocide. Quite frankly, the UN has a history of not wanting to get involved in countries where its interests do not lie. The United States is not left out of that either - though Bush uses the term "genocide," what have we as a country done that has made a dent in the conflict?

One of my very liberal classmates made a point that he thinks that the current administration would get support of the American people to send troops to Darfur if we would simpy educate the people. Several other students agreed with this statement. "You really think that the American public would be in support of that?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. These same students ramble about the "Bush regime" and the 'pointless War on Terror' that is 'laden with corruption'... I'm not sure I completely support the war in Iraq but I'm definitely more supportive than most kids my age. Let's get some perspective here... Hussein's administration was not innocent of crimes against his people. Because of this war, we are giving these people a chance at democracy, a better way of life away from the tyranny of a dictator. The truth of the matter is, unfortunately, that Americans are often ignorant of the continent of Africa in general, and I can't see many citizens wanting to send troops into a messy conflict like Darfur, with the current level of support for the Iraq war.

I feel as if I've gone on a rant. I am very sensitive about Africa. Sometimes overly-sensitive. But I just can't stand the world's inactivity and failing to even care. I know there are good people doing great things to help resolve the conflict in Darfur. And I am not the kind of person who has no faith in our government. I love America and love living in this country. But considering Rwanda, we are following the same path to allowing genocide to occur.

How many times can we repeat the phrase "Never again" before it becomes meaningless?

*Lord, I pray that you can help us to make a difference not only in Darfur, but in places around the world where people are being savagely killed. Help me to remember not to place my trust in the government, but to place it in you.*

2 comments:

Polka Dotted Pickles said...

Wow, that sounds like a really interesting class!

Anonymous said...

Wow. We never really hear about any of that going on over there. Thanks for opening our eyes a little bit.

www.laundrypile.blogspot.com