4/13/2006

Reckless Generosity

I have joined the Life Journal bandwagon. Woohoo!

For those of you not from Open Bible Church or who haven't ever heard of a Life Journal, it is simply a daily devotional journal that packs a lot of meaning into a small little entry. It's simple, but after 2 in the morning, hard to explain. You could visit Bill's blogand read his Life Journal entry, or Angela's as well.

Since beginning the Life journal, my devotion time has been awesome. Convicting, inspiring, intimate. Funny, since I had a devotional journal before I started the Life Journal. In almost the same format, and it was a struggle. Now I can't go to bed if I haven't spent that time with the Lord. Yay. You should really give it a try.

Here's tonight's late night journal:

Reckless Generosity

Scripture - 2 Corinthians 9:9-11 (Message)

"As one psalmist puts it,

'He throws caution to the winds,
giving to the needy in reckless abandon.
His right-living, right-giving ways
never run out, never wear out.'

This most generous God who gives seed to the farmer that becomes bread for your meals is more than extravagant with you. He gives you something you can then give away, which grows into full-formed lives, robust in God, wealthy in every way, so that you can be generous in every way, producing with us great praise to God."

Observation -

In a time and culture where generosity seems scarce, these verses speak volumes as to how we as Christians should be different. We have been given "more than extravagant" gifts. We have everything we need, and we should be able to show it through our giving and loving spirit.

Application -

What can I do in my daily walk to reflect the lavish love of my heavenly father? Who does he want me to touch today? I get so caught up in school, work, errands, etc. that I often lose sight of the people who really need God's love.

Prayer -

Lord, help me to open my eyes to opportunities to give love recklessly! May my life be a reflection of your great generosity.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great entry - I did the same passage that day! It is unbelievable how much the Life Journal has impacted my walk with God. I really feel the same; can't wait to spend that time with Him each day. Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

Very cool entry. Can't wait to see you next week.

Anonymous said...

Late night is RIGHT! After 2 am? Girl!

Gret entry. I love reading these.