2/27/2006

I Need Some Rocky Road Ice Cream


Swimsuit shopping.

Most women who are reading this now are probably making a horrible face of disgust already, just by my topic. Tonight I went looking for a one-piece suit because I'm going to try swimming as therapy for my lower back. Starting tomorrow. Needed a suit.

So, I figured Target of all places would have a good variety at a low price. However, I quickly came to find that the only one-pieces that Target had were size 14 and up. Nice. Old Navy had no one-pieces. I went to TJMaxx, hopeful.... I love TJMaxx in Waterloo, but this place was really REALLY ghetto. I tried on six swimsuits there. A quite interesting suit I tried on was the "miracle suit, guaranteed to make you look 10 pounds thinner instantly!" Like I really need to look 10 pounds thinner... 10 pounds thinner for me would be pre-8th grade weight. the suit was extremely tight top to bottom and was slenderizing, but had this weird support in the butt that lifted so much that, well, it made a crease where there shouldn't be one... I'll leave it at that.

So finally, I went to "Filene's basement" which is just like TJMaxx, only better. Tried on 4 more suits. Found a Ralph Lauren sport one that fit nice.

What gets me is, I'm a small girl who doesn't feel the excessive need to change her body, pretty happy with where I'm at. Just being here in Chicago and living a busy lifestyle has made me lose weight I wasn't trying to lose. So why is it, that the size of clothes I normally wear is tripled or quadrupled to be the size my swimsuit? How's that for a self-esteem builder? And those lights in the dressing room, someone needs to wise up and realize that women would buy more clothing if the lighting was more flattering and not so show-me-all-my-imperfections-to-the-max.

I'm glad I found a swimsuit when I did, I was about to give up. Blech.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blech is just the right word, pass the ice cream.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had the same effect as you and your busy lifestyle- unfortunatly im going to the opposite side of the sectrum.




hopefully my training will be paying off later. :o/

Anonymous said...

Yes, I generally buy it and take it home to try on in normal lighting, then return it if I don't like it. Well, I should say return it if I can't stand it - there's rarely a "OOOH, this is so cute!" in my swimsuit-trying-on world.

Anonymous said...

I like to try on things under black light. I find it most flattering.

Anonymous said...

Glad you found one. You will really like water therapy. It feels really good.