12/27/2005

Young and in Love

Josiah just left a few hours ago to go back to his home in Waterloo, Iowa, and I miss him already.

We weren't planning to be together on Christmas, since I'll be home on Thursday and then he's moving to Chicago to attend Moody Bible Institute. But when the night of the 23rd rolled around and I came to the sad conclusion that I would be alone on Christmas, Josiah said goodbye to his buddies and got permission from his parents to make a trip to the city. He left the next morning and got here around 3:30pm... and it was so exciting to see him. We stayed in the room mostly, napping, making freezer meals, and watching dvd's on my laptop. His parents gave me "The March of the Penguins" on dvd, which I had never seen, so we watched it together. What a great movie.

It has been really hard being away from Josiah this past semester. I can't even express how he makes me feel. When I look back on old high school dating relationships, whether mine or others', I am amazed how apparently shallow they were. It's one thing to have a crush on someone, to like someone. But it's totally different when you find someone who you can truly love, and who loves you just the same. Someone who is there to grow with you, emotionally and spiritually. Someone who looks forward to every moment with you. Who wraps his arms around you when you're happy, sad, or even just bored. Someone who picks the big chips out of the bag because he knows you don't like the crumbs. I feel so blessed to have someone like that.

Having found such a wonderful person and such a wonderful love has taught me a lot about the love of my Heavenly Father. The love that Josiah and I share is amazing to me - how much more amazing is the love of Jesus? His love is perfect, unfailing, unconditional. He loves us no matter how many times we betray Him. No matter how many times we let Him down.
one of my favorite scriptures about love is Ephesians 5:2, "Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that."

My love for Christ has inspired me to love like he loved, with my whole heart, unselfishly. It surely is a challenge to meet such a high standard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet - I don't know if I would consider myself "young" and in love, but I agree about what a difference it makes to have someone to love. Thanks for the ode to love. So inspiring.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you! You deserve a real man who loves and respects you the way Josiah does. It takes me back to my college days where I fell head over heals in love with Natalie. All I can say is God is good.