12/23/2005

What do you do when you're poor and bored to pieces?

So I'm still here in Chicago until the 29th, just hanging out and working (I work at H&M on state street). I didn't think it would be so bad. Sure, I would much prefer being home right now, but this gives me the chance to unwind, have some "me" time, make some money. My life here is pretty... what's the word... sufficient? I live in a building in which I could never leave and be fine... There's a cafeteria and a gym on the second floor, a laundry room on my floor, I have my own full bathroom, 7-eleven downstairs, and Panera just opened up on the ground floor as well. I have my tv and dvd player in my room, surround sound (no I am not rich - far from it - my surround cost $40), and my laptop. Not to mention my phone, in which a decent chunk of time is spent each day talking with Josiah. Life here during the holidays would be awesome, so I thought.

I came to find that my meal plan for the cafeteria is de-activated for the break, so basically, I'm on my own until January 23rd. Today I ate my last freezer meal, a hot pocket, which isn't generally my cuisine of choice, but satisfied my appetite. Apart from the unused box of stove top stuffing, some triscuits, and my favorite peach applesauce cups that still remain, I'm eating chips and salsa. For all of my meals. It's a bit redundant. Oooh I just remembered, I still have some leftover ice cream cake from my birthday in the freezer. I'll eat that tomorrow. Like I mentioned earlier, there's a 7-eleven and a Panera in my building, which would come in handy if I had money... haha. It's my own fault for using the last of my previous paycheck on clothes at H&M, but it's ok... I get paid tomorrow. I'll go to the grocery store and buy some milk and some macaroni or something.

So my food options are... less than stellar, but I still have my entertainment, right? hmm. Well, yesterday before my roommate went home, she tried turning on the TV, and said, "hey, what's wrong with the TV?" There's no picture. It's black. With a white line across the top. No sound. I can still see the channel numbers, faintly. I went to the menu to see if the settings somehow messed themselves up (funny how electronics, systematic as they are, seem to have evil personalities sometimes), and discovered that if I move the brightness and color all the way to 100, I can see the picture. However, the picture is scrunched to the top 2/3 of the screen, and the bottom 1/3 is still black. I don't get it... I just watched 'the wedding singer' the night before, and it worked perfect. Oh well. I can handle a break from watching dvd's I guess. Josiah's best friend is home from the military for a couple weeks, so I don't get to talk to him as much, and the gym downstairs closes really early. Tonight I got all excited and went down in my workout clothes, and they told me they were closing in 10 minutes, so I pedaled as hard as I could for 10 minutes.

so I was really bored today, wanna know what I did? I woke up at 10, checked my email and sat around doing pointless stuff on the internet till 1pm, went back to sleep, woke up at 4:45 and called Josiah, checked my email, ate a hot pocket, talked with my family on the phone, checked my email, laid around, rode an exercise bike for 10 minutes, then came back up to check my email. For the fourth time today. I think I must deep inside believe that I will get some amazing email, one that is thoroughly entertaining, making me laugh so hard, then being touching at the end, so a tear will run down my cheek. Then this email will send me to a webpage with lots of entertaining things to do, and will play scenes from my favorite movies. If someone could invent an email like that, I would give them a hug.

Ahh, college life...

p.s. I miss everyone at home, can't wait to see ya and say, "hi!!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was great! I enjoyed it. I hope you found some things to do. Panera IN the building?? I'm quite jealous.