1/23/2007

Glum

I'm a little glum right now for more than one reason...

One is that I went to America's Best eyeglasses store today, which had a promotion for 2 pairs of glasses for $69 and ended up buying one pair for $194. The two pairs apparently is only frames and lenses when you basically pick the cheapest, lamest frames and have no real prescription. I could've gotten 2 pairs for $300. And I almost did. She was ringing up my debit card when I exclaimed, "No, wait, just the one pair." So I got these really cute metal frames with red on the top, and turned down another really cute pair of reddish-brown plastic frames. On the way home and now I am seriously regretting not getting the two pairs. The plastic frames alone were priced at $129. But do I need two pairs of glasses? I'm a poor college student, and my amazing frameless current pair is somewhere, lost in the abyss of Waverly, Iowa, and maybe I'll find them. But $100 for an extra pair? It's killing me inside. Geez, I am acting as if this is a serious life-changing decision when it's, well, eyeglasses.

The other glum-making factor is this video called "Children See - Children Do" that my friend Keri sent via email, which I felt like posting. It really makes its point well. Warning: I wouldn't show your kids this.



And lastly, I had my first class today, "Contemporary Issues & New Media" with my favorite teacher, Connie. However, when I arrived at class Connie wasn't there. Turns out that even though her name is listed in the computer system, she's not teaching the class. I was disappointed. (The other teacher guy seems pretty cool and off-the-wall as well, so I'll probably keep the class.)

On a happy note, my dad bought our vacation to HAWAII last night!!! Yay!!!

6 comments:

leighdrea said...

YAY! hawaii! Im so jealous- I think I might be able to fit in your suit case!? :o)

Tina said...

sounds like fun. new glasses are great... you can see! that's a bonus!

melanie said...

the video is really powerful. i don't think you'll notice two in your suitcase...

Natalie Joy said...

Sorry you're so glum. You made the right decision on the glasses, though. Good job being budget conscious.
The video... WOW!! Very powerful. Makes me think about what I'm doing in fromt of my kids.
Oh, yeah, Hawaii is not that great. ;)

The College Life said...

that is a pretty powerful video.
with the whole eyeglasses thing....money and material has been on my mind lately as well

its a rough thing to tackle

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

Wow..this video is so powerful! I often see my kids behave like me and get really scared.

Just a note: I saw Jacob perform in the Wizard of Oz last night and he did such a good job. Like the rest of his family he is a natural. (my daughter was in the chorus)